Saturday 13 May 2017

Beauty Trends From the 90's

One thing I love to look back on, is beauty trends from previous decades. I love to look at the cringeworthy things we thought looked great back then! It's amazing how beauty trends change and evolve and that I am thankful for. Who knows, maybe in a few years, we will look back at the current trends and say 'What were we thinking?'
So today, I am going to give you 10 trends from the 90's that I remember and I may or may not be guilty of more than one of these.

1. Skinny Brows

Ew, OMG, Yuck! This was a craze back in the nineties. Tweezing your eyebrows as thin as you can, then drawing them back on with a pencil! My how times have changed, and this is one trend I am glad stayed in the 90's!



2. Brown Lipstick

I don't even know what to say about this. But I have to admit, I was guilty of the brown lipstick. I used to raid my mums makeup bag and put it on as a kid. I thought I was just so cool! Thank goodness we didn't have smartphones back then, or there would be a lot of embarrassing selfies of a young me in brown lipstick! While some brown toned lipsticks now are quite flattering, back then they were very grungy and moody looking.



3. Hair Tendrils 

This was such a huge trend when I was in school. Having your hair up, but leaving a few tendrils out to frame your face. This happens to me occasionally now, seeing as my hair has layers, but back in the day it was the cool thing to do. I remember it so well, I used to think having all my hair pulled back looked too harsh, and having the tendrils made the look softer.


4. Butterfly Clips

Keeping with the hair theme, another trend was putting as many tiny little clips and embellishments in your hair as possible. I too, was one of these culprits. I remember having the tiny little butterflies in all different colours and I loved them! I also had the little gems or rhinestones that you could put in your hair, I though they were so pretty, and they were so popular!


5. Body Glitter

I have to admit, even now I do love me a little glitter, who doesn't? But back in the nineties, growing up you weren't cool at the school disco unless you had body glitter on! I loved it, I had so many and the funny thing is, they all had the strangest scent! I can't quite describe it, but almost every body glitter I had, smelled the same.

6. Baby Buns

I feel like there were so many cool hair trends throughout the nineties. Another one that was popular was the baby buns, which was made famous by Gwen Stefani. These were tiny little buns that we would put in our hair and think we were the ultimate in cool. These made a very small comeback through Miley Cyrus recently, but I don't think they will take off like they did.


7. The Rachel

This is a hairstyle that I begged and begged my parents to let me have. Of course I didn't end up getting it, but I so wished I did! I loved the TV show Friends (and still do) and 'Rachel' has always been my favourite. I think a lot of people tried to replicate the style, but Jennifer Aniston wore it the best!


8. Blue Eyeshadow

Blue eyeshadow was the in thing. It was one of those colours that everyone wore, and all over the eyelid too!


9. Crimped or Crinkled hair.

I absolutely loved this look! I never had a hair crimper, but I did used to put my hair in braids to get that crimped look! This was a very popular hairstyle, and a must for everyone in the nineties!


10. Visible Lip Liner

I almost forgot about this one. The good old Visible Lip liner trend. I think Pamela Anderson made this look popular. It was achieved by overdrawing your lips and using a darker lip liner that your lipstick. This is one trend that should probably stay in the nineties!



So those are some very interesting beauty trends from the nineties. Some of them I would love to see a comeback, and some maybe not! In saying that, beauty trends for me are about having fun and feeling comfortable on what you are wearing. So never ever think you can't wear something because it's deemed 'out of fashion'. Be yourself!

I had a lot of fun writing this and it brought back a lot of childhood memories for me!
Let me know what previous trends you love or hate, I would love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment